MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
O Worship The King (Psalm 145:9-10) – Hymns Ancient & Modern by Chris Tomlin (Passion)
Sing, Sing, Sing (Psalm 47:6-7) – Hello Love by Chris Tomlin
The Solid Rock (Psalm 18:2) – Original Arrangement
Beautiful Jesus (Romans 1:20) – Attention by Kristian Stanfill
Unending Love (Romans 8:38-39) – God Is Able by Hillsong
TEACHING: A Word to the Wise – Part 2
Proverbs 18:21 teaches us that the power of life and death is in the tongue. Words are a signature of the soul, and the weight and power our words carry is directly proportional to the relationship you have with that person. Do you use your words wisely?
Here are links to Pastor Mike’s articles on encouragement, which he referenced during this week’s sermon.
- Why We Need to Encourage & Be Encouraged: http://bit.ly/dBcx0o
- How to Encourage: http://bit.ly/bEOP78
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What principle, insight or idea struck you as particularly helpful, insightful or difficult to grasp?
- What verses in Scripture can you think of that deal with the power of words? What do these verses tell you the nature of man? What do you see about the nature of God? Do you observe anything in these verses regarding characteristics of wisdom?
- How have you personally seen or experienced the power of words and speech in a positive way? In a negative way?
- “Words are the signature of the soul.” Can you think of any examples where you’ve observed this?
- How can intellect and wisdom be at odds regarding how we use our words?
- How does the Gospel help us grow in wisdom in how we use our words?
- Who is someone you can impact in a positive way this week though the power of your words? Share with your small group and plan to follow up on this the next time you meet.