As we adjust to three Sunday worship services, we want to spend less time making announcements and more time worshiping. To help facilitate that, we’ll show a brief video announcement segment 4-5 minutes before each service begins. Grab an early seat just before your service begins so you can take advantage of these pre-service announcements. We’ll also post them here on the Sunday Rewind each week.
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Only King Forever (1 Timothy 1:17) – Only King Forever by Elevation Worship
God You Lifted Me Out (Psalm 30:1-2) – For The Honor by Elevation Worship
Keeper of My Heart (Psalm 121:1-2) – Majestic by Kari Jobe
Touch the Sky (1 Corinthians 2:9) – Empires by Hillsong United
Beautiful Jesus (Romans 1:20) –Attention by Kristian Stanfill
Your Promises (2 Peter 1:3-4a) – Wake Up the Wonder by Elevation Worship
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 2
When driven by our natural desires, we fill our insecurities with things that only wind up creating more insecurities. The ultimate desire that must replace all others is to love God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- What is the nature of human desire? How is desire related to idolatry?
- Read and discuss James 1:9-15. What do these verses tell us about man? What do they tell us about God? What do we learn about temptation and desire?
- Why would it be evil for God to tempt us? What is the distinctions between temptation and testing?
- “Habit will eat willpower for lunch any day of the week.” Can you think of examples of this in your own life?
- Discuss the following statement: “We try to fill our insecurities with things that only wind up creating more insecurities.” Have you found this to be true in your life? What examples can you share? What specific insecurities can you identify in your own life?
- How does the gospel of Jesus impact, form or re-form our natural desires? How does the gospel direct us toward humility, sacrifice and love?
- Spend some time praying together for the things you’ve discussed. Ask God to weed out fleshly desires in your life and replace them with love for Him.