Approaching the Word
1. Approach the Word with the understanding that it is spiritually and not intellectually discerned.
“The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned” (I Corinthians 2:14).
2. Approach the Word prayerfully.
“Make me understand the way of your precepts, and I will meditate on your wondrous works” (Psalm 119:27).
3. Approach the Word with all reverence of approaching God Himself.
“Princes persecute me without cause, buy my heart stands in awe of your words” (Psalm 119:161).
4. Approach the Word with the expectation of hearing from God.
“Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law” (Psalm 119:18).
5. Approach the Word with the understanding that it is precept upon precept.
“For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little” (Isaiah 28:10).
6. Approach the Word by cross-referencing.
All of the New Testament cross-references the Old Testament.
7. Approach the Word with the resolve that you will obey what it says.
“Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart” (Psalm 119:33-34).
8. Approach the Word through the doorway of affliction.
“It is good for me that I was afflicted that I might learn your statutes” (Psalm 119:71).
9. Approach the Word through meditation.
“But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night” (Psalm 1:2).
10. Approach the Word through study.
“Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).
0 thoughts on “Approaching the Word”
This is amazing truth… I am currently reading “Living by the Book” by Howard & William Hendricks, and what he expounds on in the book is found here (in the blog AND in the Bible itself). The Bible truly is amazing!