- This event has passed.
WHAT IS “FIRST FRUITS”?
First Fruits is a service project that has rallied the RBC church body for over 25 years. It is a unique serving opportunity for families, shepherd groups, and individuals to come together and make a difference in the lives and families in our area who are in need of help and encouragement. Join us and you will be blessed to see the tangible “fruits” of your labors!
The project mainly consists of two parts:
- Teams of youth and adults do work for people in Northern Virginia who give toward the project
- The Teams use the money raised to buy groceries and other grocery-type supplies for people within the local community. Each team delivers the groceries and gift cards to the family that evening. Excess funds are used to help others beyond that night. Over the past three years this has included RBC helping 18 students to realize their dream of going to college by awarding Perseverance Scholarships at five local high schools.
HOW CAN YOU BE INVOLVED?
1. Give us a JOB that we can do for you around your house.
Many ask us to: rake leaves, mulch, garden, clean, simple home projects, or anything you need that we can do! Jobs are for a 2-hour time slot and are taken on a first-come basis until we reach the limit we can accomplish.
2. VOLUNTEER to be a part of the project.
Our need is great! It takes hundreds of students and adults to continue this project. Individuals, families, shepherd groups and friends are encouraged to join us. Anyone is welcome.The project runs from 8:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. but is well worth the investment of time and energy!
3. Become a team CAPTAIN.
A First Fruits Captain is an individual or couple who are willing to take on additional tasks and responsibilities to lead their team through the whole project. You can download the full job description and application here.
4. Give us a personal referral of a person who is in NEED.
This is for referring someone other than yourself who is facing current financial stress that isn’t currently being cared for in other ways. Is there someone you know who would be blessed by receiving groceries—thereby allowing them to use their resources towards other pressing financial needs? Please use the signup link below.
5. GIVE financially toward the project.
If you can’t think of a job we can do for you but want to contribute towards this project—just note “First Fruits” in the memo line of your check or click here to donate online. (This is for those who don’t have a job being done at their home. Please change “Designation” to “YM-First Fruits (No Job).”)