MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Our God Is Love (1 John 4:9-10) – A Beautiful Exchange by Hillsong Worship
Good Good Father (2 Thessalonians 2:16) – The EP by Zealand Worship
With Us (Psalm 46:10-11a) – God Is Able by Hillsong Worship
Come To Me (Matthew 11:28-30) – Look and See by Village Church feat. Lauren Chandler
Rock of Ages (Deuteronomy 32:3-4) – HYMNS II by PAGE CXVI
TEACHING: Between a Rock and a Hard God
Moses struck a rock in the wilderness in order to bring water to a thirsty people. Jesus, the true Rock, was struck so that lost people might drink the living water and never thirst again.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was something in this message that encouraged or challenged you? What was something that you hadn’t thought of before?
- What does it mean that Israel was “putting God on trial” in the wilderness? Who was really on trial?
- Do you ever find yourself doubting God that way? How does the Spirit convict you or comfort you in those times? What passages in Scripture help you?
- Read Exodus 7:1-7. How does this narrative foreshadow the Gospel? What do the rock, the staff, and the water point to?
- Tim Keller has said: “If there were no ultimate judge, what hope would there be for the world? But if there is an ultimate judge, what hope would there be for you and me?” What does this mean? How does the Gospel reconcile this tension?
- At the beginning of this message, Chris quoted an atheist who questioned God’s goodness and claimed that his life was better without God in it. How might you respond to him?
- Spend some time in prayer seeking God’s help in trusting Him more, and thanking Him for placing upon Christ the judgment that we all deserve.