Sunday Rewind | 6.1.2014
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Exalted One (Psalm 121:1-2) – For The Honor by Elevation Worship
Alive In Us (Ephesians 2:4-5) – God Is Able by Hillsong
Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing (Psalm 16:11) – Original Arrangement
Lord I Need You (Hebrews 4:16) – All The People Said Amen by Matt Maher
Christ Is Enough (2 Corinthians 12:9) – Glorious Ruins by Hillsong
I Stand Amazed (2 Corinthians 8:9) – North Point Live by Candi Pearson (North Point)
TEACHING: Rooted, Part 1
As we begin a series of deep faith in the book of Colossians, we must be careful to not simply view Scripture through a 21st century mindset. The truths of the Word are meant to be lived out: Do not tame the Word of God. Let it loose, like a lion out of its cage.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing from this message that was particularly helpful or insightful? What was one thing that was difficult to understand or put into practice?
- Read and discuss Colossians 1:1-14 . What might you observe about the nature of man from these verses? What do you note about the person of Christ and the characteristics of God? What themes do you note in Paul’s introductory comments to the church in Colossae?
- How might a “21st century mindset” dilute the depth of truth God desires to communicate through His word? Is it difficult for you to see life as Paul describes it in these verse? Why or why not?
- Epaphrus is noted as a “fellow servant” and a “faithful minister of Christ” (vv. 7-8). Who can you point to in your life that has been an Epaphrus? To whom can you be such an example?
- What is the distinction between being “better than” someone as opposed to “better off than” someone? How do these two mindsets represent the two kingdoms mentioned in Colossians 1:13?
- How does the gospel make us “better off than” but not “better than” those who do not yet know Christ?
- “Sometimes in the West, we want to argue the truth rather than live the truth.” What does this mean? Do you find it to be true?
- In what ways are we tempted to tame the Word of God?
- Spend some time thanking God for His Word and praying through these verses in Colossians 1:1-14.