MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Alive In Us (Ephesians 2:4-5) – God Is Able by Hillsong
Your Love Never Fails (Romans 8:28) – Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture
Nothing But The Blood (Ephesians 1:7-8) – Facedown by Matt Redman
Mighty To Save (Zephaniah 3:17) – The I Heart Revolution by Hillsong
TEACHING: Philippians: A Journey Toward Humble Joy, Part 4
At the end of the first chapter of Philippians, Paul introduces a glorious tension that all Christ-followers should feel to some degree.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this teaching that you hope to discuss as a group?
- Read and discuss Philippians 1:22-30. What themes do you see in these verses? What “glorious tension” is Paul wrestling with here?
- Why does Paul rejoice, even though he is “in chains”? What application can we glean from this for our own lives?
- Paul seems assured that when he departs this life, he will be with Christ. How can he be so sure? Are you sure? Why or why not?
- Can you think of anyone who has departed to be with Christ, but who had planted gospel “seeds” in your life?
- What gospel “seeds” do you think you will leave behind when you depart this world?
- What does it mean to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel (v. 27)?
- “All real forgiveness costs you.” What does forgiveness cost those who extend it?
- Is there someone you need to reach out in humility, love and forgiveness? How can you carry those supernatural qualities into that relationship or situation and let Jesus be your advocate? Spend some time in prayer for this with your small group.