The book of Haggai is a call to the people of God to reorder our priorities so that we can pave the way for the presence of God in our midst.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What were your overall impressions of this message out of the book of Haggai? What stood out to you?
- The primary focus of the message was about ordering our priorities to be faithful to God, in order to experience the manifest presence of God. How do you struggle in aligning your priorities with the priorities of God for a greater connection to His presence?
- We know that our salvation is not by works, and yet obedience to God is an indication of our love for Him. Read John 14:21 and discuss what it means for the church in today’s context.
- As a result of the message, how do you feel the Lord is nudging you to make changes in your priorities?
- The people of Haggai’s day were discouraged about the work that needed to be done. The glory days seemed to be behind them, yet God called them to be faithful. What factors bring discouragement in the church today and in your own life?
- Read and discuss Matthew 28:18-20. How does this passage bring encouragement to us in pressing on in faithfulness? Read Joshua 1:1-9. What is the key phrase repeated in this passage? Why did God use that phrase several times in this text?
- Pray for the ability to set effective priorities and to resist an attitude of defeat in our life in Christ.