Neglected But Essential: 2 John
How do we guard against false teaching and maintain doctrinal purity? By speaking the truth in love as we abide in the teaching of Christ and walk according to His commandments.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What stood out to you the most in this message out of 2 John?
- What does it mean to have the truth abiding in us, as John describes in verse 2?
- Verse 9 talks about having the teachings of Christ abiding in us. Explain what he means by that.
- We are told to speak the truth in love. What can make it difficult to do this?
- In the movement away from a belief in the living God toward secular humanism, discuss ways in which our culture has departed from sound teaching. How do you see this finding its way into the church?
- Read John 15:1-17. Discuss how that passage relates to this week’s message and any additional insights it provides.
- We are told as followers of Jesus that we are the Salt of the Earth (Matthew 5:13). This means we are to be, in some measure, an antiseptic, a preservative, and one who enhances. In what way is the Lord calling you to be one or more of these – speaking the truth in Love?
- What is a step you can take this week to walk/abide in the teaching/commands of Jesus?