Neglected But Essential: Philemon
The transforming work of the gospel brings not only forgiveness, but a brotherhood in faith and a willingness to offer Christ-like sacrifice. How transformed are we?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What stood out to you most in this message?
- In the Scriptures, who comes to mind when you think of a person being transformed in Christ? What about them makes you think that? (Consider a discussion on Acts 3-4.)
- Discuss what it might have been like for Philemon to receive this letter. What struggles do you think he might have had with Paul’s request?
- Discuss what it might have been like for Onesimus to be part of the team carrying this letter to Philemon. What concerns do you think Onesimus might have been battling?
- How has being in community aided in your transformation in Christ?
- Is there a measure of sacrifice that God may be asking you to consider on behalf of another brother or sister in Christ?
- Read John 13:34-35. In today’s environment, what does it look like to love each other as Jesus loves us?