Sunday Rewind | 3.13.2016
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Exalted One (Psalm 121:1-2) – For The Honor by Elevation Worship
Great Things (Worth It All) (Galatians 6:14) –Wake Up the Wonder by Elevation Worship
This I Believe (the Creed) (Romans 3:22) – Live Sessions Vol. 1 by For All Seasons
Lord of All (Psalm 97:5-6) – Attention by Kristian Stanfill
Be Thou My Vision (2 Corinthians 3:17-18) – Cathedral by Heartsong
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 12
It’s not what you say, it’s why you say it.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO & VIDEO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- From last week’s questions – were you able to speak words of encouragement and life to someone in particular this week? Give a report to your group.
- Read and discuss James 3:7-12. What descriptions, illustrations and metaphors are used to describe the tongue here? What do you think the significance of each one is?
- Go through each metaphor and illustration of the tongue in these verses – how have have you seen these at work in your own life?
- “A thousand encouraging words are wiped out by one harsh word.” Why? Do you have an example of this from your own life?
- Reflect on James 3:9. What is the significance of this verse? Why is it important to see others as made in the image of God? Why does this seem particularly important as we consider the power of the tongue?
- “It’s not what you say, it’s why you say it.” Why does the motivation of heart carry more weight than what we say or how we say it?
- How do we try to control the tongue? Can it actually be controlled? How?
- What does the gospel of Jesus have to do with how and why we use our words?