During Sunday worship services, we want to spend less time making announcements and more time worshiping. To help facilitate that, we’ll show a brief video announcement segment 4-5 minutes before each service begins. Grab an early seat just before your service begins so you can take advantage of these pre-service announcements. We’ll also post them here on the Sunday Rewind each week.
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Endless Light (Psalm 113:3-4) – Cornerstone by Hillsong Worship
Open Up the Heavens (Psalm 108:4-5) – Worth It All by Meredith Andrews
Rock of Ages (Deuteronomy 32:3-4) – Death of Death by Charlie Hall
Your Promises (2 Peter 1:3-4a) – Wake Up the Wonder by Elevation Worship
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 8
God’s moral law tells us how to live, but condemns our every attempt to live it. Yet obedience to His holy standard sets us free from being slaves to sin. We obey out of God’s love, not to earn God’s love.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Read and discuss James 2:8-11 and Romans 6:12-19. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God? What encouragements, warnings or commands are here for us to heed?
- How is the term “law” used in these verses? How does the law condemn us? At the same time, how is this also a “law of liberty” (James 1:25)? What is the relationship between law and grace?
- Since we are no longer under God’s moral law, but under grace (Romans 6), should we still obey the law? Why or why not?
- What’s the difference between obeying the law and being under the law?
- How do we tend to compartmentalize our sin? What are the effects of this?
- How does the gospel of Jesus absorb the curse of the law for us? How then should we live?
- Spend time in prayer thanking for His perfect law, which points us to Jesus. Ask Him to help you grow in grace-fueled obedience.