As we adjust to three Sunday worship services, we want to spend less time making announcements and more time worshiping. To help facilitate that, we’ll show a brief video announcement segment 4-5 minutes before each service begins. Grab an early seat just before your service begins so you can take advantage of these pre-service announcements. We’ll also post them here on the Sunday Rewind each week.
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Our God Is Love (1 John 4:9-10) – A Beautiful Exchange by Hillsong Worship
The Wonderful Cross (Romans 8:38-39) – The Worship Initiative, Vol. 5 by Shane and Shane
Give Me Faith (Psalm 73:25-26) – Nothing Is Wasted by Elevation Worship
Keeper of My Heart (Psalm 121:1-2) – Majestic by Kari Jobe
Glorious (Psalm 111:2-3) – Everything Glorious by Chris Tomlin (Passion
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 4
The desire to obey instruction is prompted by the anticipated outcome. To be humble is to be teachable, to be teachable is to be reachable. To look intently into the Word of God is to have the Word of God look intently into you.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Read and discuss James 1:21-25. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God? What do you note about the Word of God in these verses? What warnings or commands are here?
- What does it mean to “humbly accept the word” (v. 21)? Why is humility important in the context of the Word of God?
- In what ways is our desire to obey prompted by what we think the outcome will be?
- How do you respond to this statement? “To look intently into the Word of God is to have the Word of God look intently into you.”
- How is it liberating to obey the word of God? How does the gospel of Jesus show us that the Word of God is liberating, not oppressive? How does the gospel show us the wisdom of the Scriptures.
- How can you cultivate the grace of obedience to the Word? Is there a specific area where you struggle with disobedience? Spend some time in prayer about this.
- Read one chapter of Proverbs each day until your group meets again. Keep a journal of insights as you read and meditate on these scriptures. Share what you learned with your group the next time you meet.