As we adjust to three Sunday worship services, we want to spend less time making announcements and more time worshiping. To help facilitate that, we’ll show a brief video announcement segment 4-5 minutes before each service begins. Grab an early seat just before your service begins so you can take advantage of these pre-service announcements. We’ll also post them here on the Sunday Rewind each week.
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Open Up the Heavens (Psalm 108:4-5) – Worth It All by Meredith Andrews
The Lord Our God (James 1:17) – Passion: Let the Future Begin by Kristian Stanfill (Passion)
Lord I Need You (Hebrews 4:16) – All The People Said Amen by Matt Maher
Cornerstone (Psalm 18:2) – Cornerstone by Hillsong Worship
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 3
When the church doesn’t listen to the world, the world doesn’t listen to the church. Listening is a platform for evangelism, and often listening speaks more than speaking does.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- What are some good things you have from the Lord? Are there some things in your life from the Lord that you would categorize as “good but difficult”?
- Read and discuss James 1:16-21. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about God? What do you note about the Word of God in these verses?
- What does being swift to hear and slow to speak have to do with wrath or anger?
- What is the correlation between anger and immorality?
- Why to we have the tendency to “talk above” others? How have you seen this in culture & society? How have you seen it in your own life?
- Referring to the previous question, what implications does this have for the church?
- Read and discuss 1 Peter 2:21-25. How does Jesus provide an example about how we are to conduct ourselves in speaking and listening? How does the gospel empower us to this end?
- How can you cultivate the grace of listening? Is there a specific person or situation where you need to do this? Spend some time in prayer about this.