Sunday Rewind | 9.13.2015
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Endless Light (Psalm 113:3-4) – Cornerstone by Hillsong
Keeper of My Heart (Psalm 121:1-2) – Majestic by Kari Jobe
Be Thou My Vision (2 Corinthians 3:17-18) – Cathedral by Heartsong
Great Things (Worth It All) (Galatians 6:14) –Wake Up the Wonder by Elevation Worship
Be Lifted High (John 3:30) –Nothing is Wasted by Elevation Worship
TEACHING: James – Living Out Our Faith, Part 1
The world’s currency is pleasure. God’s currency is pain. In His grace, God leverages pain for our good and His glory.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO & VIDEO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Why do you think God allows pain and suffering?
- Read and discuss James 1:1-8. What do these verses tell us about man? About God? What do we learn about the nature of trials, pain and wisdom?
- What are your thoughts on this quote from C.S. Lewis? “Pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our consciences, but shouts in our pains. It is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world.”
- In what ways does God leverage pain to…
- …remove impurities in our lives?
- …drive us to His Word?
- …make us long for glory?
- …help us see the brevity of life?
- …drive us to grace?
- …build eternal relationships?
- Read and discuss 2 Corinthians 4:8-18. Why does the author call our troubles “light” and “momentary” (v.17)? Why is it difficult to live in light of this truth? How does affliction prepare us for an “eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison” (v.17)?
- What are you going through now that you need to “count as joy” (James 1:2), even though the situation itself is not joyful?
- Spend some time praying together for the things you’ve discussed.