MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Closer (Psalm 89:14-15) – Glorious Ruins by Hillsong Worship
Glorious (Psalm 111:2-3) – Glorious by Paul Baloche
Unending Love (Romans 8:38-39) – God is Able by Hillsong Worship
In Christ Alone (Galatians 2:20) – Let The Future Begin by Kristian Stanfill (Passion)
Always (Psalm 121:1-2) – Here For You by Kristian Stanfill (Passion)
TEACHING: The Patriarchs, Part 8: Jacob’s Blessing
As Jacob discovered, even seemingly small sins can lead us far away from the Lord. Yet in His mercy, He will “wrestle” with us to break our self-reliance and point us back to His glory.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- If you could create your own tagline or summary of this message, what would it be?
- How do “small” sins send our walk with the Lord so far off course? Why will the consequences of sin always be greater than the momentary pleasure?
- Read Genesis 32:22-32. Who is the “man” that Jacob is wrestling with all night? If the man was powerful enough to be able to wound Jacob’s hip simply by touching it, why was Jacob allowed to overcome him?
- What does it mean for us to “wrestle” with God?
- Are there areas in your life where you are trying to scheme your way to your own will, rather than pray for God to bring about His will? What skill or gift or talent do you find yourself relying on instead of God’s strength? Where are you seeking your own glory instead of His?
- Can you think of a time in your life where it seemed as though God was placing an obstacle in your path to break you of your self-confidence?
- How has your view of the Patriarchs changed as a result of this series? What are some of the main lessons you’ve taken from the lives of Adam, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob?