MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Your Love Never Fails (Romans 8:28) – Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture
Blessed Be Your Name (Job 1:21) – Blessed Be Your Name: The Songs of Matt Redman, Vol. 1
Lord of All (Psalm 97:5-6) – Attention by Kristian Stanfill
It is Well (Isaiah 66:12) – Public Domain (additional chorus by Hillsong Chapel)
I Stand Amazed (2 Corinthians 8:9) – North Point Live by Candi Shelton (North Point)
TEACHING: The Patriarchs, Part 6: Jacob’s Personality
Present decisions determine future consequences. Living for the present will destroy your future.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- How would you describe your personality? Have you ever taken a personality test? Was it accurate? Do you find your personality changed through the years? How so?
- Read and discuss Genesis 25:19-34. Who are the main characters in this account? What do you observe about them in this text? What are their main personality traits based on this account?
- How did Esau despise his birthright? What modern parallels of this do we see? What personal parallels do you see?
- How did Jacob “force the hand of God”? Have you ever done this? What happened?
- How do present passions blur the future? What decisions currently lie before you where you need to trust the goodness and sovereignty of God?
- How does the gospel enable God’s morality to flow through our personality? How does the gospel direct our morality?
- Are you involved in anything right now that you know could destroy your future? Spend some time praying with your small group and discussing an accountability plan for those situations.