Sunday Rewind | 12.14.2014
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Open Up The Heavens (Psalm 108:4-5) – Worth It All by Meredith Andrews
O Come All Ye Faithful (John 1:14) – Christ Is Come by Big Daddy Weave
Angels We Have Heard On High (Luke 2:13-14) – Christmas Offerings by Third Day
I Will Look Up (Deuteronomy 7:9) – Only King Forever by Elevation Worship
TEACHING: Celebrating Generosity
It’s never natural to give away what you’ve worked for, but God doesn’t ask us to do what comes naturally. Don’t let greed and fear hold generosity hostage.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Who can you think of that is an example of a truly generous person? What makes them generous?
- Would you consider yourself a generous person? Why or why not?
- Read and discuss Luke 21:1-4. How does this verse celebrate generosity? Where else in scripture do you find generosity celebrated?
- In what ways is generosity a discipline?
- How does greed hold generosity hostage? What are some signs that greed is holding back your generosity?
- “The more you make, the less you want to give.” Have you found this to be true in your life? How can you grow in this?
- How does fear hold generosity hostage? What are some signs that fear is holding back your generosity?
- What is the difference between being an owner and a steward? If you are a steward – and not the owner – of what God has entrusted you with, how should this spur you to generosity?
- How is it a privilege to give sacrificially?
- How does the gospel deal with fear and greed? How does the gospel encourage and empower sacrificial generosity?
- Spend some time in prayer thanking God for His great generosity toward us in Christ. Pray that He would help us uncover whatever holds us back from being generous.