MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Exalted One (Psalm 121:1-2) – For The Honor by Elevation Worship
Closer (Psalm 89:14-15) – Glorious Ruins by Hillsong
Beautiful Lord (Ephesians 2:4-5) – Sound of Melodies by Leeland
Forever Reign (Lamentations 5:19) – A Beautiful Exchange by Hillsong
Give Me Faith (Psalm 73:25-26) – For The Honor by Elevation Worship
TEACHING: Philippians: A Journey Toward Humble Joy, Part 9
The apostle Paul encourages us to press on toward maturity in Christ, not as a means of earning our salvation, but as a means of experiencing the riches we have in Jesus.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is something that stood out as particularly helpful, insightful, or difficult to grasp from this message?
- What is the difference between knowing someone and knowing about someone? What are the implications of this for the Christ-follower?
- Read and discuss Philippians 3:7-16. What do you observe about the person of Christ from these verses? What is Paul saying about the topic of pressing on to maturity in Christ?
- Are there any tensions to you observe in this text? Are they resolvable?
- What are some things in your life that tend to distract or deter you from pressing on toward deeper maturity?
- How can assets become liabilities in the life of a believer? How does the Gospel call us and empower us to keep first things first?
- What is “one thing” you need to do today to press forward to deeper maturity in Christ? Spend some time in prayer about this with your small group.