MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Alive In Us (Ephesians 2:4-5) – God Is Able by Hillsong
As It Is In Heaven (Psalm 96:1-3) – Overflow by Matt Maher
Forever Reign (Lamentations 5:19) – Forever Reign by Hillsong Chapel
Majesty (Isaiah 53:5) – Majesty: The Worship EP by Leeland
I Lift My Hands (Psalm 46:10) – And If Our God Is For Us… by Chris Tomlin
TEACHING: The Prodigal Son, Part 1
The prodigal son is a well-known parable that tells us the story of our lives – but not in the way you might think. Pastor Mike begins a series that will look at the grace-filled intricacies of this amazing parable.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this teaching that you hope to discuss as a group?
- Read and discuss Jesus’ parable of the prodigal son in Luke 15. Does anything bother you about this parable?
- What is Jesus commanding, teaching or implying in this parable regarding how to live the Christian life?
- Who is Jesus’ audience as He tells this parable, and why is that important for us to consider?
- Identify the main characters in this parable. In what way(s) can you relate to each of them? Where do you see yourself in this story?
- How does the gospel apply to “younger brothers”? How does the gospel apply to “elder brothers”?
- Is there a situation or relationship in your life where you need to reach out in grace, as the father in this parable did? What would it look like to apply the parable of the prodigal to that situation or relationship? Spend some time in prayer about this.