Sunday Rewind | 5.5.2013
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
God Is Able (Ephesians 3:20-21) – God Is Able by Hillsong
How Great Thou Art (Psalm 145:3) – Original Arrangement
In Your Presence (Deuteronomy 31:6) – Nothing Is Wasted by Elevation Worship
Beautiful Lord (Ephesians 2:4-5) – Sound of Melodies by Leeland
TEACHING: The Silence of Adam
The silence of Adam in the garden is the beginning of every man’s inclination to remain silent when he should speak. Pastor & author Gary Thomas teaches on the need for men to be passionately engaged & empowered by God to influence the world.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO/VIDEO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this sermon that resonated with you or that you found particularly insightful, helpful, or difficult to grasp?
- Read and discuss Genesis 3:1-7. What do these verses tell us about the nature of man? What do you observe about the nature of our enemy, Satan?
- What do these verses command, teach or imply regarding how to live the Christian life?
- Do you feel that you struggle with passivity? Are you affected by others’ struggle in this area? In what ways?
- “You can trace virtually every major social issue back to the silence of Adam.” Have you seen this to be true? How?
- How does the Gospel of Jesus address the issue of passivity and give hope to those affected by this struggle? How is Jesus our example of what a man should be?
- What is an area of your life where you feel God is calling you to be passionately engaged and empowered by Him? What practical steps could you take toward obedience in this area? Spend some time in prayer about this.
DIAGNOSTIC QUESTIONS FOR MEN FROM GARY THOMAS
- Are you growing in faith, courage & selflessness?
- Are your relationships with females edifying or destructive?
- Are you protecting and developing your influence?
- Are you pursuing your wife?
- Are you loving her in such a way that it is costing you something?
- Is your wife first in your affection, even over your own ambition and comfort?
- Are you praying for & with her?
- Do you know your children and their friends?
- What is the spiritual temperature of their hearts?
- What are their greatest temptations?
- Are you watching over your children in their romantic relationships?
- What strengths are you encouraging and building?