Thanks to the generosity of our people, our church has already been able to make a difference for the students and staff at Guilford Elementary school. Here are some brief updates on recent ways we have been able to serve the staff and students:
- RBC has been able to provide a water cooler and coffee for the staff, which they greatly appreciate.
- Every student will be able to go on their designated grade level field trip because of the field trip fund that we were able to provide them.
- The clinic has been stocked with new socks and underpants for use when a child is sick or has an unexpected accident.
- Each classroom has been given a mouse-proof box to store snacks for the kids that don’t bring a morning snack from home. We are providing snacks each month to fill these boxes.
- We have purchased balls for the students to play with during recess, and soprano recorders for the kids to use in music class (which is a requirement in the older grades and many of these students can’t afford).
- We have also been able to supply the school with tissues, disinfectant wipes, Ziploc bags, and other basic school supplies.
There still are lots of ways that you can be involved to help make a difference in the lives of our neighbors at Guilford.
BOOK DRIVE: For the next several weeks, we will be collecting new and gently used children’s books. Research shows that children who have books in their homes have significantly higher reading achievement than those who do not have access to books. We would like to provide each child with three books for them to keep. You can drop off your donation in the designated bins in the lobby. Books will be collected until October 16.
SCARVES FOR KIDS: The principal has asked us to help provide scarves for the students who walk to school. If you knit or crochet, this is a great way to use your talents to help a child. Scarves can be any color and should be the appropriate length for a child. Scarves can be dropped off in the church lobby.
SHOPPING AT GIANT FOOD STORES: If you shop at Giant Foods and are not already supporting your own children’s school(s), you can go online and register your Giant card on behalf of Guilford. Every time you shop at Giant, Guilford will earn points that will be converted into money that the school can use in any way they choose. Last year, most of the schools in Loudoun County earned between five and ten thousand dollars through this program. It doesn’t cost you anything to enroll, and it’s “free money.” Go to https://www.giantfood.com/our_stores/bonus_bucks/designate_school.htm?execution=e2s1 to register your card. The Guilford Elementary school ID is 02102.
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION: Another great way to help this school financially without it costing you anything is to participate in the Box Tops for Education program that General Mills sponsors. Just clip the box top symbol off of the products that you are already buying, bring them to church and put them in the donation box labeled “Box Tops For Education” in the lobby. Last year, Guilford earned $675 through this program. We can help them earn significantly more. You don’t need to register to donate your box tops, but if you enjoy shopping online or would like to get coupons for General Mills products, you can earn additional rewards by registering at www.boxtops4education.com.
OTHER VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES: We still need volunteers to provide monthly snacks, be homework helpers, adopt a family, and provide teacher encouragement. You can sign up online at www.restonbible.org/guilford, and the volunteer coordinator will send you more information.