When a nation loses its collective conscience, truth is suppressed and depravity becomes accepted and approved. Jesus didn’t come to “fix” things, but He came to redeem our lives.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing from this message that you found challenging, encouraging, or helpful?
- What is the conscience? Why did God give us a conscience? How does it function? Why is it important?
- Read and discuss Acts 24:10-16 and Romans 1:18-32. What are the scriptures teaching us about the human conscience here? What warnings are here for us to heed? What wisdom is here for us to apply?
- Read and discuss 1 Timothy 4:1-2What does it mean to have a “seared conscience”? How have you observed or experienced this?
- Consider the progression Pastor Mike observed when evil enters society: shock – tolerance – acceptance – embrace – promotion. In what ways have you observed or experienced this? Where in scripture do you see this pattern played out?
- In what ways has our nation “lost its collective conscience”? How is the gospel of Jesus the remedy to this? How can the church be salt and light in today’s cultural climate?
- In what ways are we as believers “living today by the world’s standards of the world yesterday”? What adjustments do you need to make?
- How do you need to trust Jesus and demonstrate His goodness in these present days? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Pray that the Lord would restore the conscience of our nation.