What we think is very powerful, but there is a problem with our thinking because our minds are not, by nature, God-worshiping minds. They are self-worshiping minds. “The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace” (Romans 8:6).
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing from this message that you found particularly helpful or challenging in your walk with the Lord?
- Why does thinking matter so much to your Christian life?
- Read and discuss Matthew 22:37, Philippians 2:5, Philippians 4:8, Colossians 3:2, 2 Timothy 1:7, and Haggai 1:3-7. What to those passages tell us about how God views the mind? Why does Haggai so often repeat the command to “give careful thought to your ways”?
- Do you feel like you are being trapped by the “technology octopus” of the Internet, entertainment, and social media? If so, what could you do in this upcoming year to loosen its grip?
- Young people often struggle during college because they don’t know whom to trust, have unanswered doubts, don’t know who they really are, and have no sense of mission. How would you address each of those areas if you were attempting to encourage a young person in your life?
- Spend time praying that God would remind you every day of His faithfulness and new mercies, and that He would set your mind upon Christ in this new year.