The Lord’s Prayer teaches us to have a response of submission toward our Father in heaven. The roadblock to submission is pride, so we must choose to be humble and surrender all idols.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What stood out to you most in this message?
- What is your first internal response to the notion of submission? How have you seen authority abused? What is your response to submitting to authority you feel doesn’t deserve it?
- Read Matthew 16:24-25. How has God asked you to “carry your cross” (submit to Him) in your spiritual journey?
- The message spoke about a change in posture – such as getting on your knees to pray. How does this sort of thing strike you?
- One of the themes of the Old Testament is the repeated cycle of embracing idols – the golden calf most famously in Exodus 32. What do you see as the primary idols the church faces today? What idols do you struggle with in your own life?
- What practical steps will you take this week to have a consistent response of submission to the Lord?
- Take time to pray, focusing on Reverence and a Response of Submission.