Successful living is deeply connected to the foundation of God’s truth, upon which is built righteous choices that protect the heart and allow us to focus on Jesus and His kingdom.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SMALL GROUPS
- What was one thing you found challenging, insightful, helpful, or difficult to understand from this message?
- What makes us ready for spiritual battle? What is the core, foundational, stabilizing force that every believer in Jesus needs to do battle?
- Read and discuss Ephesians 6:10-20, particularly emphasizing verses 10-14. Why is “stand” repeated so often in these verses? What does it mean to “stand”? How does James 4:7 provide context for this word?
- What is truth? How can we know what is true? What are the distinctions between a biblical view of truth with today’s pop culture view of truth?
- What is the significance of the “belt of truth”? How does truth “secure our core”?
- How are we prone to deceive ourselves from truth? How have you seen this in your own life? How does this play into the enemy’s tactics?
- What is the significance of the “breastplate of righteousness”? What is righteousness? What does it mean to be righteous? How can we achieve true righteousness?
- What are the distinctions between self-righteousness, imputed righteousness and sanctifying righteousness? Which is being referred to in Ephesians 6:14?
- In what ways do we “lay aside” the belt or breastplate? How does doing this disable us in our battles?
- How have you been complacent or inattentive in terms of spiritual warfare? What can be done to change this?
- What is one area in your life the enemy attacks in order to undermine your core readiness? What truths do you need to embrace that deal with that area?
- How can your small group keep you accountable regarding questions 10 & 11? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Give thanks to God that His forgiveness covers our failures. Ask Him to continue to strengthen your core with His truth and protect your heart with His righteousness.