Sunday Rewind | 9.1.2013
MUSIC & SCRIPTURE
Sing, Sing, Sing (Psalm 47:6-7) – Hello Love by Chris Tomlin
Blessed Be Your Name (Job 1:21) – Sacred Revolution by Matt Redman (Passion)
By Faith (Psalm 145:13) – Awaken the Dawn by Keith & Kristyn Getty
As It Is In Heaven (Psalm 149:1) – Overflow by Matt Maher
I Lift My Hands (Psalm 46:10) – And If Our God is For Us… by Chris Tomlin
TEACHING: Getting to Know Scripture, Part 1
After His resurrection, Jesus rebuked two of His disciples for disbelief and “interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself.” (Luke 24:27). The Old Testament is full of prophecy, foreshadowing, and models that point to the Messiah who was to come, all of which should build our faith in Him and the Bible that speaks of Him.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SERMON AUDIO/VIDEO
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Did this message encourage your faith in the Scripture? How so?
- Pastor Mike mentioned the narratives of Noah and the ark (Genesis 6-8), Abraham and Isaac (Genesis 17,21-22), Joseph (Genesis 37,39-49), Jonah, the Passover (Exodus 12), and the tabernacle (Exodus 25-26). Take one or two of these and discuss some of the ways in which they foreshadow Christ. Are there any other models or types of Christ in the Old Testament that come to mind?
- Why do you think the disciples on the Road to Emmaus failed to recognize Jesus as He talked to them?
- Read Luke 24:13-25 and Acts 8:26-39. What seems to be the response when someone “gets to know” the Old Testament? Is your response the same?
- How would you answer someone (or how have you answered) who tells you that the Bible is just a bunch of stories written “around a campfire”?
- Are there areas where you feel your understanding of Scripture is lacking? Spend some time as a group talking about and praying over ways you can grow in those areas.