We lie because we believe a lie about lying: that the benefits of the lie will outweigh the consequences. The more we are centered on God’s Word, the more we will be able to discern the enemy’s voice, and the more we will love truth.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing in this message that you found particularly encouraging, beneficial, or challenging?
- In what ways have you experienced spiritual warfare as a follower of Jesus?
- Read and discuss Genesis 3:1-5. What does this tell us about human nature? What does it tell us about the enemy? How does this account serve as a prototype for the rest of human history? How is the voice of the enemy the betrayal of truth?
- How does Satan leverage the sin in the human heart? How have you observed or experienced this?
- Read and discuss Ephesians 6:10-20. In what ways is the unseen realm the site of our true battle?
- Discuss Pastor Mike’s tagline: We lie because we believe a lie about lying. In what ways do you tend to believe the benefits of lying outweigh the consequences?
- How does grasping biblical truth provide a framework for viewing the world as it actually is? Why is this important?
- What lies of the enemy have you believed in the past? How were they revealed to be lies? What lies might you be believing now?