We’re in a battle with spiritual forces of wickedness. We need to act like we’re in a battle. The key to battle is prayer.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Do you find it difficult to pray without getting distracted? What can you do to stay focused when you pray?
- What do you think are your weakest disciplines as a follower of Jesus? How would you rate your strength and consistency in prayer?
- What does the enemy do to keep you from praying?
- John Smith said that he felt like prayer was a big part of the “wrestling with spiritual forces of wickedness in heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12). What do you think Paul meant by that verse?
- Are we too busy to do serious prayer? Why is that?
- Would getting into a daily and weekly routine when it comes to prayer help your prayer life? What times and days of the week are best for you?
- If you have children, what do you pray for them?
- John mentioned that we don’t do much adoration in prayer. If you were to spend time in adoration toward God, what would you tell Him you adore?
- Do you struggle with perseverance when it comes to prayer? Why is that?
- What is God saying to you when it comes to your prayer life? How will you move in the direction that He is calling you?
A FAMILY PRAYER
Lord, help my spouse and I to love You with all of our heart and soul and mind and strength. Help us to love each other unconditionally, to give up our expectations and to live in love, joy, and service.
Yes, Lord, help us to truly love one another and not merely care for one another. Give us wisdom in raising our kids that we might impart to them godly values. I pray, Father, that our kids would love You and honor You.
I ask, Lord, that You would help us to teach our kids that they might grow in wisdom and stature. I ask, Lord, that our kids would recognize the difference between good and evil, and choose good and put evil far from them. I pray that when they are guilty, they would be caught by someone in authority over them
who can do something about it, and that they would never feel like they can get away with doing that which is wrong. I pray that they would respect those in authority over them and be responsible in their
I pray that You would bring godly people across their paths, godly peers and godly mentors
who will help them keep their eyes on You and their hearts toward home. I pray, Father, that You would save them for just the right spouse and keep them from the wrong spouse. I pray, Father, that they and their future spouses would both love You, and love and cherish one another. I ask that You would keep them both pure until marriage and pure in marriage.
I ask, Father, that, from now until Your return, every descendent of ours, and their spouses, would know You as Lord and Savior. Let not one of them fail to know You as Lord and Savior.
I ask, Lord, that You would protect our kids from the attacks of the enemy. Protect them physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually from the attacks of the enemy.
I pray that You would keep them from wrong people and wrong places, and keep wrong
people and wrong places from finding their way into our kids’ lives.
I ask that You would put Your hedge of thorns around them, Your hands over and under them, and Your angels at their sides. I ask also, Lord, that You would put Your hedge of thorns around our home—Your hands over and under our home, and Your angels at every corner of our house and at every entrance, every window, and every door.