Saving Christmas, Part 1
December 10, 2017 Mike MinterSermonsGenesis, Hebrews, Luke
Context sets the stage for life. There is a context to history. There is a context to your salvation. There is a context to Christmas.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful, or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- What is one of your favorite memories or family traditions regarding Christmas?
- What is “context”? Why does context matter when examining any certain thing? How does context “set the stage for life”?
- Read and discuss Genesis 3. What does this tell us about us? What does it tell us about God? How does this provide context for all of humanity?
- How does Genesis 3:15 set the context for Christmas? How is Christmas a declaration of war?
- Read Hebrews 11:4, 1 John 3:12, Romans 5:12, and Hebrews 9:22. Why was Cain’s sacrifice unacceptable to the Lord? What does sin and sacrifice have to do with Christmas?
- Consider the life of Noah in Hebrews 11:7, Genesis 6:5-9, 2 Peter 2:5. What does this have to do with Christmas? How does Noah foreshadow the coming of Jesus?
- Read Genesis 22:1-8. How does this scenario point us to Christ? How does this provide context to Christmas?
- Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. Pray that the Lord would help you see and take joy in the greater biblical context of Christmas.