Divisions between people are very real, and Jesus is the only one who can destroy those barriers and bring true peace. Our goal should be for Him to use us as agents of unity in the midst of chaos.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing about this message that you found particularly compelling, encouraging, challenging, or beneficial?
- In what ways have you observed significant changes in these current days? How is “the shaping of the thinking of large swaths if people just a click away”?
- Read and discuss Ephesians 2:11-22. What does this reveal to us about God? What does it tell us about ourselves?
- What divisions and barriers are mentioned in the verses above? What are the distinctions between the divisions in these passages and the divisions we face today?
- Read and discuss Acts 10:27-28, Revelation 7:9-10 and Galatians 2:26-28. How do these provide further context for the verses in Ephesians 2? How is Jesus the only true barrier-destroyer? How does Jesus go beyond merely removing barriers? What does this mean for us today?
- How is the church called to be an agent of unity? What does that mean for you? How do you need to live this out?
- Consider Pastor Jim’s practical takeaways: Be quick to listen (James 1:19-20); Understand that experience is valid but shades our understanding; Seek what is true (John 8:31-21, Philippians 4:8); Love as Jesus loves (1 Corinthians 13:4-6). How specifically can you implement and grow in each of these?
- How does the gospel of Jesus both call and empower us to seek unity? Spend some time in prayer over the things you’ve discussed. Ask God what steps He may be asking you to take as an agent of unity in these days of division.