Pastor Paul Goodnight teaches on building intimacy in marriage by creating an emotionally safe environment. Safety between husbands and wives is an ongoing expression of Christ and His church.
- A couple of hinderances to safety were mentioned: Gendocentricism (emotional closeness to me ought to mean the same to you) and The Weight of Expectations. Which of these do you think you are most prone to struggle with?
- What do you think of the statement “Learn to be okay with passionate disagreement”?
- Do you think you and your spouse have different styles when it comes to communicating on an emotional level? If so, how have you typically handled this?
- What does “silence” normally mean to you?
HOMEWORK WITH YOUR SPOUSE
- Talk with your spouse this message. What stood out to you most? What was one thing that you most identified with?
- If you’ve realized that you have been shutting down your spouse, ask their forgiveness.
- Talk through a consistent way that you and your spouse can spend time together and move toward greater emotional safety and intimacy.