Pride leads to division and brings an end to fruitful dialogue. But humility allows God to breathe truth into our lives.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing in this message that you found particularly encouraging, beneficial, or challenging?
- What is the difference between joy and happiness? How do we tend to confuse “joy” with “fun”?
- Read and discuss Philippians 2:1-11. What is Paul saying here? How might the original audience have read this differently than we do? Why is this an important consideration?
- What “impossible commands” are in this text? How does this help us anchor ourselves in Christ as opposed to our own abilities?
- What specific things does this text reveal to us about Jesus? What does it tell us about ourselves?
- What portions of the text do you find reflected as strengths in your life? What portions are areas of weakness?
- Discuss this statement: “Unity is found in humility. Divisiveness is found in pride.” How have you observed or experienced this?
- What do you note about the humility of Jesus in the text? What are the implications for us? How does humility “allow God to breathe truth into our lives”?
- In what areas of your life do you need to move toward humility? What happens if we try to do this only by our own strength? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed.