Tourists go with the current of this world. Pilgrims go against it.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- Read and discuss Hebrews 11:8-16. What do these verses tell us about us? What do these verses tell us about God?
- What’s the difference between a pilgrim and a tourist? What are the parallels of this analogy in the Christian life?
- Compare and contrast tourists and pilgrims in these areas: time, money, relationships, suffering, sin. What other areas of life does this apply to?
- Discuss Pastor Mike’s definition of joy: Joy is the inner confidence that God’s grace will see me through my earthly pilgrimage. What is the difference between joy and happiness? What gives you joy?
- How does the gospel of Jesus Christ compel us toward joy? How does joy sustain us in our journey?
- How was Jesus the perfect pilgrim? What does that mean for us?
- Is there an area of your life where you’ve left the pilgrimage to become a tourist? Spend some time in prayer together about this.