Nothing keeps us quarantined from one another as much as shame. Nothing heals faster than a safe environment. Jesus demonstrates to the church how to love and how to be a safe haven.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing about this message that you found particularly compelling, encouraging, challenging, or beneficial?
- What is shame? How do you tend to experience shame?
- Read and discuss John 13:34 and 1 Peter 1:22, 4:8. What does this tell us about love and loving others?
- We are to love other believers, our neighbors and our enemies. How is failing to love fellow Christ-followers ultimately failing to love neighbors and enemies?
- How is connectedness the bloodstream of Christian life? How have you experienced this?
- What kind of people did Jesus attract? What kind of people does the church attract today?
- In what ways have you personally experienced the church as a safe haven? In what ways has this been a struggle for you?
- Read and discuss John 8:1-11. How does Jesus balance love and judgement? What do learn from this account about loving others well?
- Are there ways in which you have”quarantined” yourself from the body of Christ? Why? How do you need to trust God and grow in this area?
- Who do you need to be a safe environment for? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed.