There are only two options for how salvation can be obtained: Either it is “earned” or it is “given.” The Scripture makes it clear that “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved,” and that God’s people are called to go and share that good news.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What did you find most encouraging about this message?
- Pastor Tony talked about two approaches to gain God’s approval: the Earned Approach and the Given (or Granted) Approach. Discuss your experience with each of these approaches.
- Have you had experience talking with someone who embraces the Earned Approach, trying to help them embrace the Given Approach? Describe that to the group.
- In Romans 10:2-3, Paul mentioned that the people had “a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge,” so they lacked understanding about God’s righteousness. How do you see this kind of reality evidenced in our context today?
- Discuss the reality that a “good person” will go into eternity and be separated from God if they do not embrace Christ as Savior. How do you respond to the notion that this simply does not seem fair?
- Who is in your life right now who embraces approach the Earned Approach? What do you see as their greatest hindrance to receiving Christ’s payment as their own?
- Salvation in Christ comes by faith alone, apart from works. But discuss the challenge that you may face, as a believer, to trust in your own works to grow toward maturity in Christ.
- How will you live differently this week because of having heard this message?