As we walk through life in this broken world, our greatest issue is not physical, mental, emotional, social, or political. Our greatest issue is spiritual. Our greatest need is to be forgiven of the sin and the debt that it incurs.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing from this message that you found particularly helpful, challenging, or encouraging?
- What is sin? How is sin our “ultimate issue”?
- Read and discuss Mark 1:1, 14-15, 17, 27-38. What do these verses reveal about Jesus’ purpose, mission and message? What is the “kingdom of God” (Mark 1:15)?
- Read and discuss Mark 1:22, 27, 32, 35-36, 40-45. What observations do you make about the crowd and their interactions with Jesus?
- Read and discuss Mark 2:1-12. What stands out to you about each of the parties involved here (Jesus, the crowd, the scribes, the four men, the paralytic)?
- Why do you think Jesus forgave the paralyzed man’s sin before healing his body? Why is the forgiveness of his sin “the greater miracle”?
- What does Mark 2:1-12 reveal to us about what is seen and what is unseen? What does it reveal to us about faith?
- Is there an area of your life where you are allowing an issue to keep you from Jesus? How does that issue square with Romans 8:35-39? In what ways do you need to repent (change directions) in order to draw near to Jesus? Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed.