When we accept Jesus as our Savior, we must set aside performance and the works of the law as our operating principle. We receive the Holy Spirit, who empowers us to live a life that is consistent with Him. As we pursue this relationship, fruit begins to grow.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing you found especially challenging, beneficial, or encouraging from this message?
- What have you learned during this sermon series that has been particularly meaningful?
- Discuss the two operating principles: “the law, performance, and the flesh” versus “faith, grace, and the power of the indwelling Holy Spirit.” How do you see them battling in your life?
- Although the elements of the fruit of the Spirit are in some ways interconnected, it is possible to struggle with some more than others. Which elements (love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) are particularly challenging for you?
- Encourage one another by providing feedback to others in the group about elements of the Fruit of the Spirit that you see evidenced in their lives.
- What steps will you take this week to cooperate with the Holy Spirit in seeing the Fruit of the Spirit develop in your life?