To read and understand the Bible, you must know the Author. Then you can approach the Word prayerfully, with a pure heart, and with all the reverence of approaching God Himself.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing about this message that challenged, encouraged, or helped you?
- How would you describe your “journey with the Word” over the course of your Christian life?
- Read and discuss Psalm 1:1-3. What does this tell us about the Word of God? In what ways have you applied this in your life? In what ways do you struggle with this?
- Read and discuss 1 Corinthians 2:9-11. Why is it important to “know the Author” of the Bible in order to fully understand, experience and live out the Bible?
- Read and discuss Titus 2:11-14. How is grace an “instructor” when we engage with the Word of God?
- Consider the four ways to learn Scripture that Pastor Mike outlined (read, study, memorize, meditate). Which of these do you tend toward? Which do you struggle with?
- Pastor Mike identifies a couple patterns in Scripture (the fullness principle, immorality increases anger, obedience & revelation). What patterns have you observed in your study of the Scriptures?
- What is something that has astonished or amazed you from the Word of God?
- Spend some time in prayer thanking God for His Word and asking Him to develop within you a hunger for the Scriptures.