When you tighten your grip on possessions, they will tighten their grip on you. But when you loosen your grip on possessions, they will loosen their grip on you.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly challenging, insightful, helpful, or difficult to understand from this Sunday?
- In what ways do you find yourself personally tempted in the areas of money and possessions?
- Read and discuss Genesis 13. What is the essence of this story? How is it linked to the big story of scripture? How does Abraham deal with the issue? What would you have done in this situation?
- How can wealth be a blessing? How can it be a curse? What makes the difference? What are some examples from Scripture that support your thoughts?
- What does wealth have to do with trusting God? How can our love for stuff shrink our appetite for God? How have you observed or experienced this?
- Can you think of an example where someone put possessions over relational peace? What happened? How did it play out?
- How does the gospel of Jesus enable and empower us to guard against greed?
- Is there an area in your life now where you need to put peace over possessions? Spend some time on prayer for the things you’ve discussed.