Colossians, Part 7: The Christian Family
What practical difference is your faith in Christ making in your home?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing in this message that you found particularly encouraging, beneficial, or challenging?
- How would you describe your family as you were growing up? What were some things you determined to do or not to do as a result of your family?
- Read and discuss Colossians 3:18-21. Does this section make you feel provoked, offended or uneasy? Why or why not? In what ways do these verses challenge or confront you?
- What are the different roles and relationships represented in these verses? For each role, identify the object, attitude and motive from the verses. Which apply directly to you?
- As you think back through Colossians 3:1-17, how does this show God’s vision for the church? As you consider 3:18-21, how does this mesh with God’s vision for the family? How does this put the gospel on display?
- What practical difference does your faith make at home? What do you need to apply by faith in your life and in your home?
- Consider these verses in the context of Isaiah 54:5. In what ways are we all “wife”? What are the implications of this as we interact within our families?
- Consider these verses in the context of John 1:12. In what ways are we all “child”? What are the implications of this as we interact within our families?
- Spend some time in prayer for the things you’ve discussed. In what ways do you need to move toward obedience and faith in the direction of God’s calling for the roles you steward?