Humans were designed to have relationships, first with God and then with each other. That is the underpinning of why we gather in the body of Christ. God exists in relationship and we were created for relationship.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What is one thing you found especially challenging, beneficial, or encouraging from this message?
- When you think of “gathering” as a Christian, what comes to mind?
- How does creation (Genesis 1-2) show us the primacy of relationships? How in what ways is God relational? How is that reflected in us, as those made in His image?
- In what ways have you experienced authentic Christian community? What impact has that had in your life?
- Read and discuss 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 and Ephesians 2:19-22. What does the metaphor of the temple show us about the importance of gathering?
- Read and discuss Romans 12:4-5, Ephesians 4:11-16 and 1 Corinthians 12:12-27. What does the metaphor of the body show us about the importance of gathering?
- In what ways have you experienced the following reasons Pastor Jim gave for gathering?
- Christlikeness occurs in community (Ephesians 4:15)
- You belong in the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13)
- God decides where you fit (1 Corinthians 12:18)
- God uses all in the body (Ephesians 4:16)
- When you consider your participation in the body of Christ through gathering, where are you strong? What areas of weakness need to be addressed?