There is a sight better than sight and a blindness worse than blindness. The greater miracle in John 9 is not the opening of the blind man’s eyes but the opening of his heart to Jesus.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing you found particularly interesting, insightful, helpful or difficult to understand from this sermon?
- Have you ever received difficult or devastating news? How did you respond?
- What is something in your life that would devastate you if you lost it? Or, what is something you desperately long for, but have not received?
- Read through John 9. What does this chapter reveal to us about Jesus? What do you observe about the disciples, the Pharisees and the blind man? Where do you see yourself in this narrative?
- Why do you think that when we see or experience loss or pain, our instinctive question is often "Why?"
- What is the difference between a cause and a purpose? Why does this matter?
- Why is spiritual blindness a "devastating blindness"? Why is spiritual sight better than physical sight?
- Instead of giving explanations, in John 9 Jesus provides an opportunity for faith & obedience. Where else in scripture do you see this? Have you seen this happen in your own life?
- Can you identify an area of your life where Jesus is asking you step out in faith and obedience? What would it look like to take the first step in that area? Spend some time praying about it.