All Things New: Living As a Child of God, Part 6 (Grow)
As believers in Christ, we are called to His glory and excellence. It is an impossible standard to reach, but we are given everything we need to attain Christlikeness. Jesus Himself is the standard, but He is also the promise.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one thing that particularly encouraged or challenged you from this message?
- Knowing (about) and knowing (relationally) are not the same thing. What’s the difference, and why is it important?
- Read and discuss James 1:2-5, Philippians 1:6, 1:9-11, 2:12-13, and 2 Peter 1:3-11. What do these verses tell us about us? What do they tell us about Jesus? What do they tell us about growth and maturity as we follow Him?
- How is Jesus the “perfectly human human”? In what ways is He both the standard for what we shall be and the promise for what we shall become? If Christlikeness is an outcome of our salvation, what is Christ like? How do we know?
- What does the Bible mean in Hebrews 12:1-2 that we should fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith? Why is this important?
- Who is someone in your life that, by your assessment, is an example of someone growing in Christlikeness? What makes you consider this person to be like Christ?
- What would you consider to be an area of struggle for you in your growth toward Christlikeness?
- If growing to be more like Christ means loving God and loving others, what is one practical way in which you can love others around you more effectively this week?