Connect with one of our missionaries, be a blessing, and be blessed!
Reston Bible Church supports over two hundred missionaries worldwide. In most cases these brothers and sisters are living far from family and friends. In all cases they need prayer, communication and encouragement.
For this reason we have established the Adopt-a-Missionary program. The idea is that the Shepherd groups, families, and individuals become “next of kin” to the missionary.
What do the missionaries say?
“It has been a huge encouragement to me, and has made me feel really connected to the body.”
“Continue what you are doing! We appreciate the contact that we have, also with one of the shepherd groups, and the sermons that are being sent to us, as well as the package for our little boy.”
What do the groups who adopt say?
“We’ve gotten to know them well enough that they share things with us on a more personal level than in general. It’s been a blessing.”
Who is this for?
Shepherd Groups, families and individuals.
What is involved?
- Establish a relationship: introduce yourself to each other via letters, email, etc. Send pictures of yourself or your group.
- Correspond via emails, letters, birthday and anniversary cards, small gifts, etc.
- Pray for them regularly in your group meetings or family gatherings.
- Learn about the nation they are in. Encourage them. They are in the trenches carrying out the Lord’s command in Matt 28: 19 to “…go and make disciples of all nations…”
- Register your adoption with the Missions Committee so that all missionaries are covered.
Is there more information available to assist the adopting group, family or individual?
After the group registers with the Missions Committee, we will send the Adopt A Missionary Guide with many more suggestions, ideas and guidelines for this program.
What is the commitment?
The commitment to a missionary is for 12 months however we encourage renewals. (One Shepherd Group had a relationship with a missionary for 12 years).
Which missionaries are available?
RBC supports over 200 international and national missionaries in various functional positions on five continents. Contact Cheryl Hurley at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine which missionaries are still available.