Do you have doubts and questions about God, the Bible, Jesus, or faith?
For many of us, what we heard about God or learned about faith growing up just hasn’t seemed to work as an adult, and what seemed so simple when we were young doesn’t seem to make sense anymore. All of us have questions about faith but sometimes we never ask those questions because we’re afraid of what other people might think of us. Wouldn’t it be nice if there were a place where you could share those doubts and ask the questions you’ve always wanted to ask without feeling judged or pressured?
You’re not alone. We invite you to join us for Starting Point.
What is Starting Point?
- A conversational environment where people can explore faith and experience community.
- An ideal setting for people with doubts and questions about God, the Bible and Christianity.
- A non-threatening small group where your opinions and beliefs will be respected as we explore the basic truths of the Christian faith.
- Starting Point is not a class where a teacher lectures and people sit and listen. It’s a place where you have a conversation about faith along with people who are on the same journey. It’s a place where no question is off limits. Often, people will ask the questions you’ve always wanted to discuss.
Who is Starting Point for?
Starting Point is for people who are curious about God, have a new relationship with Jesus Christ, or are returning to church after being away for a while. Typically people who join Starting Point identify with one or more of the following groups:
- Seekers – People who are curious about God, Jesus, the Bible, or Christianity but may have many doubts and questions. They are looking for a safe, non-judgmental place to explore these questions and have a conversation about faith.
- Starters – People who have just begun a new relationship with Jesus Christ and are looking to build a solid foundation for their faith.
- Returners – People who have a church background but have been away for a while and want to reinvestigate things.
Whether you are curious about God but have doubts and questions, are just beginning or returning to a relationship with God, or maybe you’ve attended church for a long time but you’re just not sure you buy everything that you’ve been hearing – Starting Point will help you in your journey.
Description of a Starting Point Group
- The groups are 8-weeks in duration.
- Each session lasts for 75 minutes.
- The typical group size is 8-12 group members and 2–4 leaders.
- The groups meet at the church on a Sunday morning during the service times upstairs in room 236.
- We use the Starting Point Conversation Guide (available in the church bookstore) and we’ll all use the same exact Bible so we can refer to page numbers to make it easier for everyone.
- Childcare is provided.
- Registration is required to attend a group for planning group size. Additionally, we ask people to join a group at the beginning because each week builds on itself as you go through Starting Point. It’s difficult to jump into a group midway through and you miss a lot.
- Depending on interest and availability, we may also have a Starting Point group that meets at times other than Sunday mornings either in someone’s home or at a local establishment.
So whether you are curious about God, have questions about faith, are just starting out in a new relationship with God, or are coming back to church after some time away, Starting Point is a place where your opinions and beliefs are valued and no question is off limits.Download a Sample Chapter of the Discussion Guide
Our Starting Point orientations are held on the fourth Sunday of the month immediately following both the 9:00 and 10:45 a.m. services in Room 222. At the orientation, you will hear all about Starting Point, be able to ask questions, and have an opportunity to sign up for a group. There is no commitment when you come to the orientation; just show up to find out more.
Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
Interested in taking Starting Point? Have a friend, neighbor, or coworker who might be interested and want to know what you’re inviting them to? A great place to start would be to join us for an orientation. Starting Point orientations are held on the fourth Sunday of each month, immediately following both the 9:00 and 10:45 a.m. services in Room 234.
At the orientation, you will hear all about Starting Point, be able to preview the topics and materials, be able to ask questions, and have an opportunity to sign up for a group. There is no commitment when you come to the orientation; just show up to find out more.