As we continue to see the contradictory nature of Ecclesiastes and life “under the sun,” we see that riches are also a vain chasing after the wind. The desire to have something is always greater than the satisfaction of actually having it. Our insatiable desire to be satisfied is constantly thwarted by our inability to be satisfied.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Ecclesiastes chapter 5. What does this chapter tell you about the nature and character of God? Of man?
- Do you feel like you struggle with materialism? Explain why or why not.
- How do you know you love God more than you love the things that He gives you? Pastor Mike gives three questions to help gauge the heart. Discuss each one: Do I have an anxious fear of losing what I have? Am I living beyond my means? Is there a lack of generosity in my life?
- “The desire to have something is always greater than the satisfaction of actually having it.” Have you ever seen this at work in your life? Explain. How do you deal with this?
- Why is it difficult to believe that God can truly satisfy us?