There is a sense in that the book of Ecclesiastes deviates from the accepted norm of Scripture by saying life is “meaningless,” wisdom is “vain” and that all things under the sun are “wearisome.” Is there a greater context for these hard statements?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Read and discuss Ecclesiastes chapters 1 & 2. What do these verses tell you about life? Do you find similarities in your personal life experience?
- What areas of life does the author ascribe as meaningless, senseless and vain? Is there a particular area the author mentions that you relate to?
- According to Ecclesiastes, why do things continue to improve (medicine, technology, knowledge, etc.), but life is no easier than before?
- What is the distiniction between life “under the sun” and life “above the sun”?
- Do you live mostly “under the sun” or above it? How is life “above the sun” possible?