The Practice of Faith
Author, counselor and guest speaker Winston Smith teaches that although faith is often thought of as an emotion that leads to action, biblical faith is actually what we do regardless of what we feel. The best way to grow in our faith is to focus on the great faithfulness of our loving God. Because God is faithful, our faith is meaningful.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- Have you ever had a "crisis of faith" where you doubted the goodness or presence of God? Was that crisis resolved? How did it affect your faith?
- Read and discuss Exodus 17:7-16. What do these passages tell you about man? About God?
- Is faith primarily an emotion that leads to action? Why or why not? How would you define biblical faith?
- How does focusing on the faithfulness of God grow our own faith? In what ways have you personally seen/experienced the faithfulness of God?
- Are you currently dealing with a situation where you are fearful of making a wrong choice? How can your small group encourage your faith and pray for you?