Deception creates obstruction. And we are ourselves deceived when we seek after what we think will fulfill our hearts' longings, rather than Christ alone.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR SHEPHERD GROUPS
- What was one piece of this message that especially challenged or encouraged you?
- What does it mean that deception creates obstacles? How does deception create physical or circumstantial obstructions? How does it obstruct our walk with the Lord?
- How did Jacob’s deception create obstacles? How did Laban’s?
- Where do you see yourself in this story?
- Read Genesis 29:16-35. How does Leah represent the longings of our hearts? How does Rachel represent the ways we try to fill those longings?
- Is there a hole in your heart that you are trying to fill with something other than Jesus Christ? What are you striving after right now that you believe would fulfill you, if you achieved it?
- How is Jesus the “true Rachel”? Spend some time praying that He would help you desire Him more than anything else, and praising Him as the One worthy of our desire.